Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sean Taylor's Murder Mystery in Miami

This is a terrible tragedy, the shooting death of Washington Redskin Pro Athlete Sean Taylor. At this time, the police are searching for clues to lead them to an arrest of a suspect(s). It appears it may have been a random home invasion/burglary but then again Sean Taylor's past is being examined closely too.
After clinging to life nearly 24 hours, the Washington Redskins Pro Bowl safety succumbed to a bullet wound to the leg about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami. Shot Monday morning at his Palmetto Bay home -- just feet from his baby daughter -- he died before he could speak to detectives. They are treating his death as a homicide. Under scrutiny of national media, investigators are looking into everything from a 2005 fight involving Taylor to a strange break-in last week at his home.

Shot in the groin, Taylor suffered massive blood loss from a severed femoral artery. Doctors who operated on him later in the afternoon could not save him, although family members said he was able to squeeze a doctor's hand, giving them reason for hope.
I was listening to one of the networks tonight covering this story and sure enough they brought up this was a good time to pass gun control. If any thing, this is a time that anyone that wishes to protect themselves need to purchase a fire arm. Here in south Florida we have had a rash of home invasions, robberies, murders, and other serious crimes including several police officers being shot and one last week stabbed.

Sean Taylor was raised in south Florida, played for the college team, Miami Hurricanes before going professional. He was 24 years old and had a new daughter, that he was very proud of. His girlfriend, Jackie Garcia and mother of his child, is the neice of actor Andy Garcia.
The shooting took place at about 1:30 a.m. Monday after Taylor and his girlfriend were startled awake by noises at their sprawling home on Old Cutler Road.
Taylor told Garcia to get under the covers while he shut the bedroom door and grabbed a machete he kept for protection under his bed, according to Taylor's attorney and family friend Richard Sharpstein.
As she cuddled their 18-month-old infant, Garcia told Sharpstein she did not hear any voices but said ``she heard a lot of noise that she related to more than one person. There seemed to be a lot of commotion.''
Then, she told him, the door swung open and Taylor was shot. The gunman never stepped into the room.
The intruder fired two bullets. One hit Taylor; the other hit a wall. Taylor tumbled back into the bedroom, wounded in the groin, Sharpstein said. The gunman fled immediately after firing.
''Nothing was stolen,'' Sharpstein said.
He said Garcia called 911 on a cellphone -- the house phone was not working. Miami-Dade patrol officers reported receiving the call at 1:45 a.m.
The police are still investigating.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home